India has been at the forefront of car development at price points, well below of what we expect in the US. The latest entry is Mahindra’s eSupro electric van at a price around $13,000.00.
It has some interesting specifications:
- Fully electric van.
- Passenger or cargo van.
- 25kW electric motor.
- 90Nm of peak torque.
- Approx. 72 mi (115 km) on a full charge.
- Maximum 38 mph (60 km/h).
- Full charge in 8 hours 30 mins.
- 15 Amp charge plug.
- Payload of 1320 lbs (600 kg).
- 72 V Li-ion battery pack.
- Regenerative braking.
- Length: 150 in (3.80 m).
- Width: 60.6 in (1.54 m).
- Height: 75.6 in (1.92 m).
- Wheelbase: 76.8 in (1.95 m).
Clearly a van made for the Indian market and with no clear prospects of entering the North-American market, but I wonder why the big car companies here haven’t lined up their EV models yet. Non of the Big Three have any plans for an electric van and even Tesla isn’t currently focusing on cargo vans.