Scientists at Stanford have developed a fast, water disinfecting device using nanofilms and visible light. It is relatively small, but could have a big impact on both hikers and boondockers.
The glass tablet is topped with bits of copper and “nanoflakes” of the industrial lubricant molybdenum disulfide.
“UV light only counts for 4 percent of the total solar energy. If you can also use visible light, that’s 50 percent of solar energy.”
The early results show highly efficient water disinfection against E.coli and a lactic acid bacteria. Viruses and harmful chemicals may follow. The water should not be cloudy.
It could be commercialized in 3-5 years.